This is one of my favorite recipes. It was one of the first recipes I cut out of my magazines. When I go to the grocery store I bring my recipes so I can make sure I get everything I need and do not miss anything (I have been known to miss writing down items that I need to get). On one grocery trip I left it in the cart and it was never to be seen again. It took about five or six times making it before I remembered all the ingredients, and I was able to get the with the measurements correct.
Spicy Kale Pesto Pasta
1 bunch of kale
1/3 cup almonds, preferably roasted
less than 1/4 cup of lemon juice
1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese
8 oz Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (or more if you like spicy)
1 can Cannellini Beans, rinsed
- Cut long stems off kale to make easier to steam.
- Steam kale for 7-10 min, until kale is tender, but not wilted
- Cook pasta according to the package.
- Remove thick veins from middle of the kale and lightly chop, set aside.
- Put almonds in a food processor until ground.
- Put kale in food processor and pulse until almonds and kale are mixed together.
- Put the lemon and Parmesan cheese in to the food processor, and blend until mixed well.
- While the food processor is running, drizzle in olive oil until the pesto is the right consistency.
- Heat a tsp of oil in large pan at medium heat add red pepper flakes, heat for 1 minute.
- Add pesto stir for 1 min, then add pasta and beans. Keep stirring until completely heated.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
If you are not into spicy, you can omit the red pepper flakes. We serve this about once a month, and my 2 1/2 year old son enjoys eating this pasta dish. I omit the red pepper flakes from the recipe and then add on my own dish.